FINGERPRINTING PROCESS AT A GLANCE
- Register with the CHAI system (refer to the User Guide if you experience issues)
- Choose 'Initiate New Screening' in CHAI and Create your Profile
- Make an Appointment with a Livescan provider (you can do this in CHAI or simply refer to our Locate a Provider tab)
- Bring your ORI Number and complete your fingerprinting appointment (ask the Livescan provider for your Transaction Control Number (TCN) before you leave)
- Keep your TCN in a safe place in case we request it
Applicants who submit an initial licensure application to the department for a profession that requires background screening pursuant to s. 456.0135, Florida Statutes, must submit fingerprints electronically through a service provider approved by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and who is photo capable and is in compliance with the requirements of Florida's Care Provider Background Screening Clearinghouse pursuant to s. 435.04(1)(e), Florida Statutes.
The purpose of the clearinghouse is to provide a single data source for background screening results of persons required to be screened by law for employment in positions that provide services to children, the elderly, and disabled individuals. The clearinghouse allows the results of criminal history checks to be shared among specified agencies when a person has applied to volunteer, be employed, be licensed, or enter into a contract that requires a state and national fingerprint-based criminal history check. (s. 435.12, Florida Statutes)Alert Message Container